Dietitians have a responsibility to provide the public with knowledge and ethical nutrition practice in accordance with the Professional Standards for Dietitians in Canada. This document describes the six (6) core standards that guide dietitians in daily practice and essentially describe professional characteristics.
These characteristics are:
1. professionals provide a service to a client
2. professionals base their practice on a unique body of knowledge
3. professionals competently apply knowledge
4. professionals maintain competence in their area of practice
5. professionals adhere to a code of ethics
6. professionals are responsible and accountable to the public for their own actions.
Futher information on the professional standards including indicators and outcomes can be found in the document Professional Standards for Dietitians in Canada (www.dietitians.ca)
Dietitians of Canada, College of Dietitians of Ontario, Professional Standards for Dietitians in Canada 1997.
© 2017 College of Dietitians of Manitoba